Life of an Albuquerque Mommy

Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Road Trip!

The weekend before Halloween I decided to go on a little Road Trip. Thursday afternoon after W got out of Preschool we hit the road headed for Arizona and a visit with Sariah and her family. I told W we were going to a friends house and earlier that day had shown him pictures of Aiden. It was the perfect day to leave as Albuquerque was bitter cold and being blasted by horrible winds. While we drove W asked lots of questions and was very excited to play with his new friend. After every curve or every hill he'd point at a house and ask "Is that Aiden's house?" Then it progressed to "Aiden's house is after we go over that big, Big, BIG hill way over there!"

We arrived around 10pm Thursday night. I got to tell you, I missed driving that I-17 corridor between Flagstaff and Phoenix. It's the only section of road where you can drive like Speed Racer and still get passed by other vehicles. It was great to see Ches and Sariah again. We had only just barely knew each other when we were at Ricks together, and I tagged along with some mutual band friends to their wedding!

W and Aiden immediately hit it off and were so wound up it was hard to get them to sleep that night! Friday morning came early and W loved seeing all of Aiden's toys and they played hard. Sadly Aiden had to go to Preschool that day so for a few hours they missed each other immensely.

Sariah and I prepared for a nice picnic once Aiden was out of preschool. There's this building in downtown Phoenix that's across the street from the building I worked in when I lived Phoenix years ago. There is this awesome grassy area, awesome fountain/lake, and these cool statues. I thought the kids would love it. But before going to the "park" as I will call it from now on we went to the lobby of the building I used to work in.

There's this big fountain in the middle that the kids just went crazy over. Sariah and I visited with Sue, an old co-worker of mine for a little bit and thought it might be fun to tour the old office. As soon as we stepped off the elevator it's like we lost complete control of our kids! We didn't even recognize them. They started yelling and screaming and running around the office. Sariah and I were so embarrassed we grabbed armfuls of kids and practically ran to the elevators!

Once we were to the "park" the kids were able to run and yell till their heart's content. I tried to take some pictures.

Here is Aiden trying to throw a rock into the water. Too bad they were cemented to the ground!

Aiden playing with the rocks






Dalling trying to figure out how to get into the water without us noticing!
Dallin at the park









Dallin checking out one of the lights that shines on a nearby tree.
Dallin at the park 3









Dallin imagining how fun it would be to play in the water.
Dallin looking at the water








Dallin trying to sneak down into the water.
Dallin trying to sneak into the water








Sariah taking a picture of me while I took a picture of her.
Sariah and Parker at the park






Sydnie and her trusty giraffe gazing into the water.
Sydnie looking at the water at the park





I had asked Aiden to stand next to the tree so I could take his picture. W and Sy seemed to think he was lonely or needed help posing.
Will Aiden and Syd by the tree




W sitting by the fountain being the photogenic boy that he is.
Will by the fountain



Friday night after finally getting the kids asleep we stayed up late and chatted. CHes came home from a football game the middle school band was playing at and we stayed up even later talking about memories from Ricks and other things. It was fun to talk with other musicians about musically related topics again.

Saturday we planned to do some fun, free Halloween related stuff. The day seemed filled with obstacles and at one point Dallin and Parker were taking naps. I took that opportunity to go over to my hubby's grandparents house so the kids could visit with them. Shane's grandfather had yet to even see Sy so I felt it important that they have the chance to visit. My kids started out shy at first but once Papa started sharing candy corn with them they warmed up quickly. They got to have popsicles with Mother under the Pomagranate tree. W "helped" Mother with a sewing project by pulling out pins that weren't ready to be pulled yet which resulted in some good tickles and cuddles. While cuddling Mother turned to me and said "I'm so sorry Dana, but you had absolutely nothing to do with this one (W)." I quickly replied (I've heard this before) "Yes I know Mother. I was just the oven!" When it was time to leave W and Sy were more than enthusiastic to give good-bye hugs to Mother and Papa, it almost brought tears to my eyes. Over all it was a good visit with the great-grandparents.

We quickly hurried back over to Sariah's house where we tried to get ready to go to the festival. After a quick stop at the wal-mart we went over to a local church's halloween carnival. Sadly Sariah and I got quickly frustrated and angry while there. It was poorly run and of course the older kids (teenagers) had to ruin it for our kids. Even though they didn't seem to be bothered by it, it really bothered us moms.

Here are pictures taken at the carnival.

W, Aiden and Sy in the bouncy house for their TWO MINUTE time limit!
Will Aiden and Sydnie in bouncy house


W and Aiden. A.K.A. "The Twins". These two were inseparable.
Will and Aiden AKA

After the carnival we went back to the house where we had hamburgers cooked on the grill and watched "Over The Hedge". We got some cute pictures of the boys playing together and Ches commented more than once that the weekend gave us insight into what it would be like with twins. We were all glad we didn't have them! It was a tearful goodbye Sunday evening. Aiden was sad to see W go and said "You can come back anytime you need to" while giving him a hug. It was so sweet!

(P.S. I didn't purposely take all these picture in black and white. I didn't know till the roll was done and went to switch it out with a new roll that it was a black and white roll. I was so mad! But at least the pictures turned out good.)
Posted by ABQ Mom :: 11/07/2006 06:50:00 PM :: 5 Comments:

Post a Comment

---------------------------------------