Life of an Albuquerque Mommy

Thursday, August 31, 2006

Wearing it on my Sleeve

I've often been told that I am a cry baby. Even by my most closest friends all throughout my life. I'll admit it, I am easily brought to tears. I always have been. My brother in law the other day told me that I'm not a cry baby as much as I am a person that is sensitive to other's feelings and burdens. That's a good way of putting it, I think I'll stick with that.

Music is an interesting medium. Music has the ability to stir emotions in you that you sometimes forget you have. Or maybe just those that you thought you had buried. I think music often has the same power over us that the sense of smell can. For example with smells you may go for years without smelling something and yet when you do it takes you immediately back to the first time you ever smelled it. I believe music can effect is in that same way.

I love to sing along with the music, especially on long distance trips and my drive up to Washington earlier this summer was no different. My car has a 6 disc player which is awesome! I have a 5 cd box set of Disney classics that I absolutely love to listen to, especially on long drives.

It was while listening to these cd's that I really started to think about my emotional well-being and the influence music has on it. Because you see for as long as I can remember there are songs that I have NEVER been able to sing along with because I get so choked up and about to cry that I physically CANNOT sing!

You may find my list of songs silly. I know I do, for you see I have NEVER been able to figure out what it is about these specific songs that stirs up so much emotion in me. Maybe someone out there can analyze my list and let me know.

Chim Chim Cheree-Mary Poppins

Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah-Song of the South

Candle on the Water-Pete's Dragon

The Age of Not Believing-Bedknobs and Broomsticks

Feed the Birds-Mary Poppins

Best of Friends-Fox and the Hound

On the Front Porch-Summer Magic

When You Wish Upon a Star-Pinnoccio

You've Got a Friend in Me-Toy Story

My Name Is James-James and the Giant Peach

Stay Awake-Mary Poppins

I Will Go Sailing No More-Toy Story

That's Wat Friends Are For-The Jungle Book

Baby Mine-Dumbo

I Won't Say (I'm in Love)-Hercules

Lavender Blue (Dilly Dilly)

Boo Bop Bopbop Bop (I Love You, Too)-Pete's Dragon


This is a song that has caused me to cry every time it's been song or played since I was 8 years old. Even now as an adult I have a hard time getting through it.

Families Can Be Together Forever
Posted by ABQ Mom :: 8/31/2006 01:17:00 PM :: 5 Comments:

Post a Comment

---------------------------------------