Life of an Albuquerque Mommy

Wednesday, August 16, 2006

The traditional spelling

Yesterday evening was the open house at the preschool W will start attending tomorrow afternoon. It was fun to go meet his teacher, find his classroom, get a little apple magnet, a new book and a t-shirt with the preschool's name on it. They got to play on the playground for a little bit, get their pictures taken for their cubby and have some fruit, cheese and crackers. Looking back the funniest part was when we were in his classroom.

The teacher was talking to another little girl and her parents when we walked in. I heard them mention the name of my daughter. I thought to myself, that might be weird for W to go to school with a little girl that has the same name as his sister. A short while later the teacher came over to meet W. My husband and I introduced ourselves and W's little sister. The teacher immediately made the connection between the two girls with the same name. The other girls mom heard and turned to talk to me. Just then the little girl turned and I was able to see her nametag. I got a little confused.

I asked the mom "is it Sydney or Cindy?" The mom said "oh, it's Sydney, you know the traditional spelling, like the city". I looked down at the little girl's nametag again and was still confused. Because as you see it was spelled Syndey. To me that was Cindy, with a very untraditional spelling. I looked back up at the mom and quietly said "oh, I guess I was confused because it's misspelled on her nametag." The mom then got quite embarrassed and passed the blame onto her husband saying "He missed happy hour." I then quickly said as they were leaving the classroom that my daughter's name was the untraditional spelling that ended in "n-i-e".

I found the whole thing quite funny, but at the same time felt really bad for pointing out the misspelling. As we were laying in bed my husband brought it all up again. "Oh, I'm sorry I guess the misspelling threw me off." And we both continued to laugh over it for a few more minutes, even though I did feel bad for pointing the whole thing out.
Posted by ABQ Mom :: 8/16/2006 08:23:00 AM :: 5 Comments:

Post a Comment

---------------------------------------