Life of an Albuquerque Mommy

Tuesday, December 06, 2005

"Deck the Halls"

Friday afternoon we got our christmas tree. I was very excited about that.

I grew up with a fake tree. I think the one year we got a real tree (that I can remember), we had a big wind storm that destroyed our garage, our pool and a huge piece of sheet metal flew into the house below my bedroom window. That would have been
January 9, 1990.
When we were married, I told my husband I would only have a real tree. He's tried and tried to convince me that we should get a fake tree, the very thought of it would make me want to cry. After my kids went to bed we brought the tree inside. We got the christmas decorations down from the closet and "S" set to work putting the lights on. Growing up the tradition was dad put the christmas lights on the tree. Mom and us kids would do all the rest. "S" is happy to go along with that tradition. He string the lights, and I do all the rest while he watches t.v. :-)
I love the idea of a tree that works with a theme. At least a theme of colors. I have two different sets for my tree. Blue with silver, and burgandy with gold. This year I did the burgandy.

I love getting new ornaments. Every year after christmas I go in search of ornaments that I can add to my collections. When we were growing up, my aunt would give us a new ornament for christmas every year. The idea was that when we were on our own we would have enough to decorate a tree. We used those the first year we were married in our little apartment in Phoenix.

It takes me a few hours to decorate my tree. I have to decide which set of ornaments to use, and then everything has to be just right. I love christmas time. Its the only holiday I have a lot of decorations, besides a welcome sign.

I always love the saturday morning when the kids wake up and come in and see the tree and the decorations. Their eyes just light up to see the tree.

But of course then they're overwhelmed with curiousity and their little hands have to touch.

It only took a few minutes before bulbs were being pulled off and garland and ribbon was moved.

So between now and new years if I'm not writing much its because my tree needs to be guarded at all times!

I wanted to include pictures of my tree. I hope you like seeing some of my favorite ornaments.

The bulbs with the music notes and instruments my mom made for our first christmas. The glass leaves and snowmen she bought to help me start my collection for our second christmas.

The silver bells were used as party decorations at the surprise wedding shower that was thrown for me at my old job. To me that was something special and I have used them on my christmas tree every year since we were married.

Keep your fingers crossed that nothing gets broken or lost this christmas season. I know its a part of motherhood to have something truly special to you accidentally broken but I always hope that I can sneak past that little calamity. The first and second days are usually the worst, but who knows what can happen if I don't have the tree in my sight! Have a happy christmas season!

(P.S. Only 23 more days till my birthday!)


Posted by ABQ Mom :: 12/06/2005 09:20:00 AM :: 14 Comments:

Post a Comment

---------------------------------------