Life of an Albuquerque Mommy

Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Bath Time Serenade

My kids love to take baths. They know as soon as they are done eating its bath time. "W" says "want to take a bath." "Sy", when we get her down from her high chair and say "'its bath time" she seriously starts running to the bathroom as fast as her little toddler legs can take her.

They love to take baths regardless, but they especially like to take baths when Daddy is in charge! With mommy, its down to business. Get in, get washed, and get out. But with daddy, oh with daddy, they have a great time! Daddy puts some water in the tub, adds the kiddies, gives them a few toys, but the best part; the best part is they get a serenade played for them while in the bath. "S" practices in the bathroom while they're in the tub! He says it's good acoustics... Sometimes "W" and "Sy" are done with bath time before daddy. I have heard on occasion, "Daddy, all done." after 30 minutes or longer, with a reply "Not yet. Just a few more minutes." "No daddy, all done." through chattering teeth and severely pruned up toes and fingers, as he's trying to climb out of the tub himself!

My husband is a violinist. I am a clarinetist. We both followed the rule of 2 hours (at least) of practice a day while we were at Ricks, but whereas I saw it as a homework assignment, Shane saw it as relaxing enjoyment. I practiced so I wouldn't make a fool of myself, Shane practiced till he perfected the music and it became a part of him. His love for playing has not faded just because he didn't become High School Orchestra teacher. He's been in the Albuquerque Symphony for the past two years, and then this spring he became a part of a
String Quartet where he is first violin. He has reason to practice.

My kids have grown accustomed to the sound of daddy playing violin. It's also become normal to hear daddy on the piano working on a new string quartet piece he's written, or something he's arranged for string quartet. It is regular background (funny thing I almost wrote bachground instead of background) music to our normal daily activities.

The kids love bath time with daddy because they get to stay in as long as they want, and play and splash. Sometimes they come out of the bathtub and their hair never even got wet! I'm sure they also love the calming sounds of daddy playing violin while in the bath. I just hope they don't become too used to the idea. I would hate when they are adults, they tell their spouse "oh, I'm sorry; I can only take a bath or shower if there is classical violin music playing in the background. Do something about that."

Posted by ABQ Mom :: 11/30/2005 09:25:00 AM :: 4 Comments:

Post a Comment

---------------------------------------