Life of an Albuquerque Mommy

Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Midnight Robbery

With the thought that my In-Laws are coming to visit next week for Thanksgiving, I started to get quite anxious looking at my extremely dirty carpets. (Imagine; 3 years in the house with young children, and they've never been cleaned!)

I have been wanting to get the carpets cleaned for over a year now, but the idea of my family coming and seeing how bad they are really made me jump into action. Yesterday I went to Walmart to rent a Steam Cleaner. I wasn't planning on doing the whole house just the high traffic area between the garage door and the kitchen, and then the dining room area, so I figured I could do it myself. When I was signing the paperwork I realized that it was only a 24 hr rental, and that it had to be back by 1pm today (wednesday). Tuesday nights are when our alumni group have chat, and since I'm the host, moderator, and creator its important that I be at the chat night. I decided that it was going to be a long night for me.

While I was chatting with all my old music major friends, "S" had fallen asleep on the couch around 8:30pm. I ended my conversation so I could shoo him off to bed and get started on my task of cleaning the carpets. When I woke him up, he was really startled, he didn't know where he was, or what was happening. I scooted him off to bed, and while he was brushing his teeth I got out the vacuum and starting to vacuum the carpet. I had assumed that Shane would come out and ask me why I was vacuuming at 9pm at night, but he must have been really tired because he had gone right to sleep.

After I finished vacuuming the house I got out the steam cleaner. Read the directions, mixed the solution and turned on the machine. I was hoping that it would have been quieter than the vacuum, but instead it was much louder. I was expecting "S" to come wondering out asking me what I was doing. Every time I turned off the machine to change out the water I would expect to hear one of my kids crying. It ended up being a very quiet night. No kids were awoken and neither was my husband. I had moved some furniture around, and pushed the dining table against the back sliding glass door. I finished up my job around 11:30pm and then went to bed.

This morning when "S" came in to kiss me goodbye, I waited to hear him say he noticed that I had done the carpets. He said "wow, the carpets look really good, I didn't even know you did that." I told him I was up till 11:30pm doing it. Later on around mid-morning I called him at work to continue the conversation. I asked him if he really had no clue that I was steam cleaning the carpet last night. I told him I was expecting him to wake up and come out, dreary-eyed and confused.

He told me he hadn't had a clue that I was doing that last night. When he went to bed he assumed I had come to bed too. He said that throughout the night he had dreamt that we were being robbed. And this morning when he walked out to the kitchen to eat breakfast and saw that the furniture wasn't in their normal places had jumped to the conclusion that maybe he wasn't dreaming! He flipped on the light and discovered that everything was still there just moved around, and instead the carpet was really clean.

I have always said my husband was a heavy sleeper, but to dream that the loud noises he was actually hearing in real-life was a burgler is pretty funny. Then this morning actually think that maybe he wasn't dreaming is even more funny! Even though it had caused him to have weird dreams he was very impressed that I cleaned the carpets myself in the middle of the night.

Posted by ABQ Mom :: 11/16/2005 02:22:00 PM :: 3 Comments:

Post a Comment

---------------------------------------