Life of an Albuquerque Mommy

Saturday, November 05, 2005

My Son's Birth Story - Pre-Pregnancy

I don't know why I decided I needed to write about this specific event. Its been on my mind all week. Maybe its that his birthday is coming up in a few weeks. Maybe it was spurred about by reading Proud Mum's trip to the emergency room with "Little Red" for croup, or reading GoofyJ's recount of her son's heart surgery. This week has been hard on me.

(There are three consecutive posts; "pre-pregnancy", "pregnancy and delivery", and "RSV", I feel they are all part of his birth story but was just too long to be in one post all together).

9 months after we were married my husband and I discussed the idea that maybe it was time to bring a baby into our family. He wasn't even a year through school and still had two more years left before he graduated. I was working fulltime so we could eat while he was going to school and working parttime but we really felt sure of it. I had only been taking the pill since we were married and stopped taking it after only nine months. The first three cycles were a little irregular, as to be expected after stopping the pill. At the end of the first cycle I experienced a horrible bladder infection. I had never had one before and didn't know what was happening. It had spread into my kidneys, but luckily it was caught, I was given antibiotics and stayed home from work for a few days. When I first started noticing that something wasn't right I thought I was pregnant. (I had never done that before either so didn't know what to expect.) After those first three cycles, my body basically turned off. For almost a year I went without having a cycle at all. The pill that I had only taken for 9 months had messed up my system so bad it took over a year to get back to normal.

We were in Phoenix, hundreds of miles away from any friends or family. Its kinda funny, I remember during that "dry spell" we were at my husband's aunts house in Mesa. One of his married cousins asked when we were going to have a baby. Before we could come up with an answer (or excuse) her mom gave her the excuse for us. "Honey, please, don't bug them, they are in school, they don't have any family here to help out." We didn't have to say anything to anyone, everyone assumed we were just waiting till we were done with school.

Looking back I realize it was all for the best. We found out we were pregnant in March of 2002, the baby would be due in November. Almost exactly a month after my husband would be graduating from college. It couldn't have been better planned. If we had gotten pregnant before then my husband probably would have had to go part-time to school or drop out completely. We wanted a baby, but while we were still in school wasn't going to work. We found out on July 3rd of that year we were going to have a boy.


Posted by ABQ Mom :: 11/05/2005 07:55:00 PM :: 9 Comments:

Post a Comment

---------------------------------------