Life of an Albuquerque Mommy

Monday, October 17, 2005

Visit with Papa

For weeks now my son has known that his Papa (my dad) would be coming down for a visit. At the most random times he would ask "Where's Papa"? I know he doesn't have concept of time so understanding "in a few weeks" has been hard for him, but he's excepted it and done well. Papa's visit begins today. My son is very excited, for the past few days he's been asking even more, along with "Go to tractor store when Papa gets here". My dad actually left Washington LAST monday but he spent a few days in Salt Lake with one brother, in Farmington, NM with my other brother and then he'll be here with us till Saturday. He's expected to arrive today between Noon and 1pm so between now and then I have to get the kids dressed and take them to their well check appts ("Sy"-15 month, "W"-36 month though his birthday isn't until NOV), do dishes and laundry, and maybe if I have time a quick vacuum.

Last Wednesday at the park, "W" saw this kid on one of those Big Wheels riders. Ever since then he's thought that when Papa gets here he's going to the "tractor" store and getting one too!

My dad is not one to just sit around and relax. Believe me I know! The first year we were married and my parents came down to visit, along with me my husband also learned that my dad can't just sit on the couch. He has to feel useful and he has to be busy. We now draw up a "List of Things Dad can do if he gets bored while visiting". We save any little projects we need to do for while he's here. This week because he's coming by himself he may be bored more often or less. We'll have to see. But just in case:

"Things to do to keep Papa busy this week"
~ get out of the door the penny "W" dropped into the car window.
~replace the bathroom sink faucets. (one is broken, they match, might as well replace both of them)
~go to the grocery store
~drive up to Sandia Mountains and take my son' 3 yr pictures
~go to "tractor" store.
~make a trip to the dump with garbage and fall yard clean-up
~get the truck he brought down for us insured, licensed, and registered
~reclean all the things I already cleaned (or cut corners on cause I don't care THAT much). (around the burners on the oven, the catchplates under the burners, around the kitchen sink, etc)
~vacuum (my dad loves to vacuum)
~get the kids winter coats ??
~eat lots of New Mexico Green Chile
~and if we're REALLY lucky replace the master bedroom window with a patio door!

Because we are going to be keeping Papa busy this week I will not have a lot of down time to write posts here on my blog. Try not to miss me too much while I'm away, and keep your fingers crossed for my son, he really wants a "tractor"! :-)
Posted by ABQ Mom :: 10/17/2005 07:25:00 AM :: 3 Comments:

Post a Comment

---------------------------------------