Life of an Albuquerque Mommy

Tuesday, October 04, 2005

BYU vs. UNM

It never occurred to me when we moved to Albuquerque that we had entered a "BYU Haters Zone". I always assumed BYU was loved by all anywhere you went. I was quick to learn that wasn't true in New Mexico.

Next to UNM vs. NMSU games, you haven't SEEN a bigger rivalry. (at least from the UNM side). Games against BYU are the most talked about of the season. Whatever sports season that might be. I know for a fact that there are a lot of BYU fans here, and I know that there are a lot that COME here for the game. Its just interesting to see how riled up UNM fans get about the upcoming game against BYU.

Right now its football. Not a big fan of football, could really care less, but its funny how much I start to care about it when I know BYU is coming to town. I bring this up because BYU is playing UNM on Saturday here in town. Everywhere you go there's a buzz about it. During the weeks leading up to and following a game against BYU (especially if BYU won) you're almost afraid to mention that you ever attended BYU let alone have visited it or support it. Its kinda funny. Do we deny our roots, tied to BYU or do we support our new "home team" and root for UNM? As for me and my house, we'll support BYU...

We have a static cling decal on a window of our car. It says "BYU-Idaho Rethinking Education". We received it in the mail one day as part of the Ricks College Alumni. (If you don't know Ricks College in Rexburg, Idaho changed from a 2 year JR college to a 4 year university and became known as BYU-Idaho)

We have had the vinyl sticker on our car for three years and now sometimes we forget its even there unless of course someone mentions it. Well one day that is exactly what happened...

We pulled up into a parking lot of a local plant nursery. My husband started to get my son out of his carseat and I was getting my daughter out of hers. Meanwhile an old woman(80's maybe?) pulled up next to us in her car. As she was getting out she noticed the decal. She stood up as straight as she could and in a rather commanding voice said "I KNOW BYU is NOT in Idaho!" Obviously a UNM fan! We informed her that yes there is a BYU in Provo, Utah; but there is also a BYU in Idaho and that actually there is another in Hawaii too. She looked a little dumbfounded and I think a little scared. "uh oh, her UNM had just been outnumbered."

It gave us a little chuckle.

Saturday's game will be interesting to see the outcome. The current head coach of BYU's football team was the assistant head coach at UNM just last year. Thats stirring up a little more emotion around here...


Posted by ABQ Mom :: 10/04/2005 01:16:00 PM :: 6 Comments:

Post a Comment

---------------------------------------