Life of an Albuquerque Mommy

Friday, September 23, 2005

Trapped in the Southwest

Some days its really hard to be in Albuquerque.

Today is one of those days...

Every so often I find myself in a bit of a funk. I start thinking (and secretly wishing) about how wonderful it would be to live closer to family and friends. Its so hard (on me mostly) to be so far away, especially when they're going through hard times. I always feel like my hands are tied and wish there was something more I could do to help. Most times I feel like packing a bag, loading the kids in the car and driving down the freeway so I can be there to help. Even if its just as a shoulder to cry on. I hate feeling like I can't help.

More than anything right now I wish I was in Portland, Oregon. My best friend and her family live there right now. We met when we were living in Phoenix. Her husband and my husband were attending DeVry at the same time. We instantly hit it off and have been great friends since. Her 3rd child was born just two months after my 1st. A few months after we moved to Albuquerque, they moved back home to Portland. Since my family is still in Washington we try to see each other at least once a year, and we talk all the time. She is pregnant with her 4th baby. She was put on bed-rest at 25 weeks. Her oldest just started 1st grade, her 2nd is in kindergarden this year and her youngest will be 3 soon. Her husband starts a new semester at Portland State on Monday, and I just wish so much that I could be there to help out. How I wish I wasn't a 24 hr drive away. How I wish I was only 3 hrs away. I know she has lots of help. She and her husband grew up in the Portland area, if they need help they have tons of friends and family around.
Maybe its just me. When a friend or family member is in need I do everything in my power to do what I can for them. The long-distance help is all that I can do and I just feel so limited. Seriously if I could jump in the car and be there to help her I would in a heartbeat. Every time my mind starts to wander I find myself thinking about them. Trying to figure out how I can get there. Drive? No, only one car. Fly? No money for tickets. Dana, stop thinking about it. She has family and friends THERE already to help if she needs it. But I can't. I CAN'T! Whats wrong with me?

Posted by ABQ Mom :: 9/23/2005 11:09:00 AM :: 8 Comments:

Post a Comment

---------------------------------------