Life of an Albuquerque Mommy

Thursday, October 13, 2005

MY DADDY!

Since the day his little sister was born my son has had to stake claim of everything he thinks belongs to him. The one thing hardest for me to help him understand is that his daddy is also his sister's daddy. (I know that isn't THAT uncommon, right?)

Before my daughter was born I would always tell my son to go get daddy when he came home. You could hear the garage door open and know he was home. Soon he would recognize the sound and know it meant daddy was home too. He'd always get very excited.

Once his little sister was born, no matter where I was in the house I would announce for her and my son that daddy was home. Big brother would get very upset by this. He'd say "No! My Daddy, NOT "S"'s daddy!" I was always telling him, "Yes he is your daddy, but he's her daddy too" and again he'd say "NO! My daddy!" There was NO winning that argument. It continued for a few weeks(seemed like months) after she was born and then it stopped. I thought, "Yes, that phase is over!"

WRONG........

The argument has been resurrected! Now that my daughter is walking.
Every night when my husband comes home from work, I say "Go get Daddy!" I'm teaching her to greet him when he comes home. How to recognize the sound of the garage door opening and know that is daddy. My son has decided he doesn't like that again. Its the same line over and over... "NO, MY DADDY! NOT "S's" DADDY!" I can't seem to get him to understand that they are brother and sister, so therefore have the same daddy.

I think part of this stems from my son being very attached to daddy right now. He absolutely doesn't want anything to do with me. "..No Respect, I get No Respect around here..." He wants daddy for bathtime. He wants daddy for toilet visits. He wants daddy for bedtime. He wants daddy to get him in and out of his carseat. If he wakes up in the middle of the night crying, I go in. (My husband is dead to the world! Doesn't hear a thing.) But as soon as I open the door to his room he practically yells "Go Away Mommy! Want Daddy!" My husband keeps reassuring me that this phase will end, that he will love mommy more than daddy soon. But it makes me a little sad for my little infant baby boy that always wanted mommy and would cry as soon as daddy held him.

I know the "want daddy" phase will end. But until then how do I convince an almost 3 yr old boy that his little sister has the same daddy as him and he has to share? Theres no arguing logic with a little boy that uses the same line in response to anything you say to him. "No, MY daddy!" Kids don't care about logic or facts.

Posted by ABQ Mom :: 10/13/2005 12:12:00 AM :: 3 Comments:

Post a Comment

---------------------------------------