Life of an Albuquerque Mommy

Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Red or Green?

When in New Mexico there is only one phrase you need to know: RED or GREEN?
Your preference for:

Color Crayons? NO.

Lights on your house at Christmas time? NO.

Leaves on the maple tree? NO.

Favorite balloon at Balloon Fiesta? NO.

chokecherries you want to eat? NO.

your underwear? NO.

bruised knee? NO.

Once you have become familiar with this phrase, know what it means, are accustomed to it, and have learned to expect it then you have truly become a New Mexico Native.


RED or GREEN?

When you are asked this question you know they're asking you what kind of chile (i.e. enchilada sauce) you want. Everyone has their preference. My husband likes green chile. I like Red. This is such a big deal there is even a chile pepper institute, this is New Mexico's main agriculture produce, 2nd is the frijole(or bean). In New Mexico you can go to ANY hamburger joint (McDonalds, Burger King, Wendy's) and order a green chile cheeseburger. There is just no getting away from it, and when you want your chile fix you'll just about put it on anything. Anyone for a green chile chicken sandwich?

We have said that our preferences were determined by heat. He said green chile is hotter, I said red chile is hotter. But really I think my preference really comes from texture. I have a big issue with textures in food. It was always a joke with anyone that knew me really well that I can't stand my food touching on the plate. My parents always joked that they were going to get me an entire set of cafeteria type dishes. I don't like eating green peas because the way the centers squishes out of the outside shell.

Green and Red Chile is the same way. Red Chile is usually a smooth consistancy, like any enchilada sauce you'd by in the store. Green Chile on the other hand is more chunky, the chunkiness is what always turned me away.
Back in September when we had our
"Vacation from the City Life" we had purchased a bushel-full of whole fire-roasted green chiles. I thought "great, a whole lot of chile that I don't like to eat".

But I've discovered in the past month that it is possible to like green chile. After we peeled all the roasted outside part of the chile you're left with the fleshy part of the pepper. Thow 8 or 9 into a ziploc bag and thow them in the freezer. Take out a bag, let it defrost and pull out a few chiles for that evening's meal. Cut off the stem, cut it open, scrape out all the seeds and rather than chopping them into big chunky pieces like they do in the restaurants I throw them in the blender with a little water. Putting them in the blender gives it the nice smooth consistancy that I like, the green chile flavor that my husband likes, and the hotness that we both have become addicted to.

"S" just reminded me that Red Chile isn't available yet. It's the green chile left to ripen on the vine longer. And you can request it fire-roasted as well.


What would you choose? Do you know which you like better?


RED or GREEN?


Posted by ABQ Mom :: 10/25/2005 12:24:00 PM :: 11 Comments:

Post a Comment

---------------------------------------