Life of an Albuquerque Mommy

Thursday, November 17, 2005

new avenue?

I've been thinking about starting a cooking or recipe blog. It would just be a place where I'd write about what I've cooked lately, and what I've done to it to alter it to our tastes. Along with nutritional information of course.

For example:
Last night we had strawberry shortcake. I know, how can you alter that? Bought the regular shortcake cups, and some cool-whip. My husband said I was insane for buying cool-whip, that I need to use real whipping cream instead. He made whipping cream and I got the cool-whip out of the freezer.So I cut up the strawberries, added a little sugar and corn starch, and a little lemon juice. Mashed it up a bit and created triple decker shortcakes using both whipping cream and cool-whip The kids love it immensely.

I asked my husband what he thought about me starting a cooking blog. He said "Don't you have enough that your doing already?"

I asked Proud Mum. She warned me about copyright laws. Which was very true, I didn't even think about posting recipes from cookbooks, and the repercussions that could come from that.

I believe recipes should be shared. Good food, plus good friends equals a good time. Everytime I make something and someone asks me for the recipe my gut instinct is to tell them its a secret and keep it to myself. If they like it they have to come to me to eat it. But then I remember something "S"'s grandmother told me. And then I go ahead and give them the recipe.

His grandmother is an amazing cook, and anytime we went to her house in Tempe we where mostly like in for a real feast. She has spent a good part of her life perfecting recipes passed down to her from her mother and collecting recipes from others when she's tasted something good. She shared a story with me once. She had gone to someone's house, or a church function or something. This woman had made this delicious dessert of some kind. A cake or something. Mother(thats what we call "S"'s grandmother) was really pleased with it, and had asked the woman for the recipe. The owner of the delicious dessert said "Oh, I couldn't possibly part with it. Its a family secret." She has actually asked her a few times, on different occasions over the past 10 yrs or so. It has always bugged her that this woman wouldn't share the recipe with her.

This last Christmas Mother compiled all the recipes that she's become known for and published them in an awesome cookbook. (I think she was getting tired of trying to remember the exact recipe when a 3rd generation female relative would call her.) She told me that if someone ever asked about the recipe of something she had put in the cookbook that it was okay to pass them along.

I'm always looking for good, new recipes, and I would assume other young mothers would too. Getting a recipe from someone you know has made it and has had success with it makes it easier for you to try it. I've purchased cookbooks, and looked at the black and white on the page and thought "ya but is it good?".

So if I was to start a cooking blog, kept it private (i.e. can't find it on the blog search), and gave as much information as to where I found a recipe, would you even be interested in reading it? I love to hear from people when they have made things that I've given them the recipe for. Especially when they've altered it and made it their own. Let me know what you think about this. Should I go ahead with it or not?

Posted by ABQ Mom :: 11/17/2005 09:23:00 AM :: 11 Comments:

Post a Comment

---------------------------------------