Life of an Albuquerque Mommy

Monday, February 06, 2006

Lock Out

Part of the renovation(please refer to the previous post titled "Weekend Warriors" )we did this weekend involved changing out the locks on all of our doors. Instead of buying three new doorknobs so they could all be opened using the same key, "S" bought this kit that allows you to change out just the pins inside of the locks.

He had done the deadbolt and lock for the new backdoor we had installed on Saturday night. Sunday afternoon he set out to do the deadbolt and lock for the front door and the lock on the door that leads out to the garage.

This time he learned from the mistakes he had made Saturday night and rather than spending 2 frustrating hours playing with tiny little springs and pins, he changed all three locks out without any problem.

Jump forward to dinnertime. We're all done eating, and "S" takes the kids off to the bathroom to start baths. I began to clean off the table and put things away. I went to take something out to the garage to put it away. The door closed behind me, no big deal. I turn around to open the door to return back to the house when I discover the doorknob won't turn. The door is locked! With all his genious "S" checked to make sure the new key would work in the lock, but then left the door locked!

I started knocking on the door. I know "S" was down the hall in the bathroom with the kids and the water was still running. I was sure he could hear me. I could hear the water splashing, the kids laughing, and "S" talking. I started to knock harder on the door. Its cold in the garage, I had no shoes on and I'm standing on cold concrete. I started to bang even harder on the door. I could hear the water stop running, so think he should be able to hear me again. My hand was starting to hurt so I looked for something I could use to bang on the door. My eyes landed on a flashlight. I used the end of the flashlight to bang on the door. He still doesn't come to rescue me. I figured, okay he's always worried we're gonna get robbed, I'll push the button for the automatic garage door opener. If he doesn't hear me knocking he's sure to hear that and come running. Nope. That didn't work either. I go back to banging on the door. He still doesn't come.

By this point I didn't care if the whole neighborhood heard me. I put my face up to the door and started yelling. Then I began banging on the door again. Nothing. I look around the garage, starting to get desparate. I see the car. I know the car horn is pretty loud. "W" would play with our keys in the house and would accidentally press the car alarm button. The car would start honking its horn and you could hear it anywhere in the house. I jump into the car and began honking the horn, over and over again. It sounded like the car alarm, I thought, surely "S" will come checkout all the racket. Again I was left trapped in the garage! I went back to banging on the door, thinking desparately for a way to get him to realize I was locked out of the house.

I was starting to get angry, and panic a little. I opened the garage door again and ran to the front door. I pulled "W"'s little prank and began ringing the door bell over and over. Ding-Dong, Ding-Dong, Ding, Ding, Ding-Dong, Ding-Dong!

I could hear "S" walking to the door.

He gets to the door and says "'D'?"

"YEESAH! Its ME! Open the door!" I yelled through the door.

He looks at me standing outside in the cold and says "What are you doing out here?"

"I went out in the garage! You left the door locked! I've been standing out in the garage for 10 minutes banging on the door to try to get your attention!" I yelled.

"I banged with a flashlight, I opened and closed the garage door, I even got in the car and started honking the horn!" I continued.

He started laughing as he walked back into the bathroom to check on the kids.

About an hour later, as we were putting the kids to bed he started laughing again.

"What's so funny?" I asked.

"I could hear banging, and I thought 'What is 'D' doing?' Now it all makes sense! Were you seriously out there for 10 minutes?" He answered.

"YES I was!" I replied

He started laughing again and said "Not only am I a heavy sleeper, I'm a heavy kid bather too. You should blog about this!"

Isn't he considerate, helping me come up with topics to blog about...

Posted by ABQ Mom :: 2/06/2006 11:42:00 AM :: 7 Comments:

Post a Comment

---------------------------------------