Life of an Albuquerque Mommy

Monday, August 29, 2005

Music Hater?

I think I’m going to cry! Where did I go wrong? My husband and I are both music lovers. We were music MAJORS for crying out loud?!?! So how is it that my son hates music?

He is always telling me “Mommy, stop singing!” when were in the car and I’m singing along to the radio. Or when we’re walking in the mornings and I break out into song.


Plus, I have become the parent of the child that refuses, I mean completely and totally REFUSES to participate in singing time in Nursery! How did I let this happen? Didn’t I play Mozart and Beethoven to my belly when I was pregnant with him? Didn’t I play classical music, and lullaby’s when he was a baby? Hasn’t he listened to his daddy play violin every day since the day he was conceived? Haven’t I song him songs? I’ve tried teaching him the primary songs they sing in Nursery. He just tells me “Mommy, no singing!” Runs away and takes away whatever toy his little sister had her eye on! What do I do? Resign to the fact that my son will never love music? That because he’s been surrounded by it since before he was born that he is going to hate it completely? There has got to be a way to get him to come around. I see other kids and they’re singing all the time. At the grocery store, in the car, etc. No, not my son, he’s making super loud, top of his lungs, car and airplane noises. I hear stories from other mothers, of how cute it is to hear their child sing a movie soundtrack or songs from their favorite cartoon. I don’t know what to do? So I’m pleading, as a musician, as a wife of a musician, as a mother that hoped her children would love music, how do I get my son to love music and want to participate in singing time?

Posted by ABQ Mom :: 8/29/2005 08:07:00 PM :: 4 Comments:

Post a Comment

---------------------------------------