Life of an Albuquerque Mommy

Thursday, July 14, 2005

Healthy Eating

(originally posted on fishbowlinsider yahoo!group 7/14/05)
When we were first married, I wasn't that great of a cook. Ask my husband he'll tell you what I made him for dinner the first time. He can't remember what we ate last night but he can remember the first dinner I ever cooked for him. It was very dry teriyaki chicken with white rice. Nothing all that impressive... I didn't come from a family that really cooked a lot, and when we did cook it was usually something from a box where you add water(macaroni & cheese, hamburger helper, etc). So because he came from a family that prepared a lot of homemade GOOD eating meals (both of his grandmas are wonderful cooks, and his mom too) and he could hardly even swallow what I was making him; I made it a goal to find good recipes and learn how to prepare better meals. I set out collecting recipes from friends and family, testing out things in cookbooks, some we liked, some we didn't. A few I had to try again to get it just the way we liked it, now I can say I'm a pretty good cook. Well at least I can follow a really good recipe, and change it to our liking. :-) I've learned for healthier eating to look for recipes that use a lot of spices for flavor rather than fat. "S" will tell you that I've come a VERY LONG WAYin just 5 1/2 years. And last night proved it, we were watching Emeril Live on Food Network and he asked the audience why you use tomato paste. Do you know why??? Neither did the audience or my husband. I was in the other room(cooking dinner) and I said "its a thickening agent". I didn't hear the tv, only "S" yell to me, "You're right, how did you know that?"
(Aug 25th, 2005)...after writing this, I must say that a lot of my motivation came after we moved from Phoenix to Albuquerque. I had just given birth to my first child, and went from breadwinner to housewife. Our best friends in Phoenix had us over for dinner a lot when we lived there, and after moving we went into "'C' Cooking Withdrawals". We also no longer had the pleasure of going over to "S"'s grandmothers house for meals which was always a treat! From that point on, I set out to be a better cook. Sometimes I don't think I'm quite meeting the expectations put upon me by myself, "S", "C" and family members. But then I just go out on a limb and surprise myself!

Posted by ABQ Mom :: 7/14/2005 08:08:00 PM :: 0 Comments:

Post a Comment

---------------------------------------