Life of an Albuquerque Mommy

Thursday, July 07, 2005

Common Bonds

(originally posted on fishbowlinsider yahoo!group 7/7/05 titled 'young families in the ward')
Today I walked to the park to play tennis. Its like the second time in my life that I have even PICKED up a tennis racket, but I didn't care because I went just to have fun and to socialize with others from my ward. As I was walking home in the sweltering heat I started to think about what a blessing it has been to be in the ward that I am in at this time of my life.Our ward is of average size, but we have the unbelievable luck of having a lot of young families, with little kids and moms who stay home with them. And because most of us had some sort of career or something before we had kids, we needed something in which to interact with other adults. My ward has seen that need and have jumped wholeheartedly into meeting that need. Almost every day of the week there is an activity to participate in. The first monday of every month we meet at a pizza place for a "birthday luncheon". Basically its just whoever wants to come and we all sit together at a table and eat our lunches and chat. Every wednesday we have playgroup at the park, where all the kids can play together and the moms can chat. On the 3rd wednesday of every month rather than playgroup we have what we call "mid-week activity" which is basically a daytime enrichment. Every thursday morning we meet at a different park from the one we have playgroup and we play tennis. We hardly even keep score. Its basically to have fun, be outside and maybe if we're lucky burn off some calories. AND on friday mornings we play volleyball at the church. I think we burn more calories laughing than we do actually playing. I was so happy to come into a ward that makes it so easy for the new members to become quickly acquainted with people in the ward. This summer we had 9 very active families move out of the ward, but I know because of the many activities our ward provides, that when we have new families move in they will quickly catch up to become a vital part. If your ward has things like this, and you're not a part of them, you should be. Its a wonderful way to meet people and make friends. And for those moms that stay at home with their kids it can be a sanity-saver. If your ward doesn't have anything like this, figure out some way to initiate it. You'll be glad you did!

Posted by ABQ Mom :: 7/07/2005 07:49:00 PM :: 0 Comments:

Post a Comment

---------------------------------------