Life of an Albuquerque Mommy

Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Car Horns

(originally posted on fishbowlinsider yahoo!group 7/6/05)
As I was walking my 5 miles this morning with my kids in the stroller I thought back to the last time I was really focused on getting into shape....

(flashback 8 years)When I was in High School I was on the basketball team. Besides band that was my other extra curricular activity. The first couple of weeks of practice were always so hard for me because unlike everyone else on the team I didn't play volleyball in order to get ready for basketball season. But I enjoyed the practices, and the miles of running, the feeling I had after practice was over, and how good I felt at the end of the season. When I went to college though, I no longer had my basketball season to dread/look forward to, so like a lot of people I gained that Freshman Fifteen that everyone was always talking about. By the time "S" and I were married I had lost that plus a little more, and didn't want to gain it back. The first calling we were given after we were married was the Nursery. About 3 months after we moved into our ward in Phoenix another couple from Vancouver, Washington had moved in. They had a little girl that was nursery age, and were expecting a baby boy in a few months. We quickly became great friends with this couple and did a lot with them. When their little boy was about 6 months old, my friend and I decided we needed to start walking every morning to help shed a few extra pounds we were carrying around. We started in March right around our 1st anniversary. In Phoenix you can walk all year round if you want, you just have to get started pretty early during the summer months so you didn't die of heat exhaustion by the time you were done. The first couple of days of walking, my friend was pushing her baby in a jogging stroller and me walking with my new dog, we found ourselves being honked at by passing cars. We walked early in the morning but that still happened to be during early morning rush hour traffic. In the beginning when a car would drive by and honk their horn we would be insulted. "Geez what a perv." we would say. But after a few weeks of daily multiple car horns, hoots and hollars out windows of passing cars we started to take it as acompliment. "Well, we must be doing something right. If we were totally repulsive they wouldn't be honking."Now that I am walking alone in a different town with my own TWO kids in a stroller with a little bit more weight than I'd like to have; I thought that Phoenix is where I left the car horns with my friend. I was wrong! Even with two babies being pushed in a stroller, total strangers still think I look good enough to honk. Thats a nice ego boost...

Posted by ABQ Mom :: 7/06/2005 07:41:00 PM :: 0 Comments:

Post a Comment

---------------------------------------