Life of an Albuquerque Mommy

Thursday, May 04, 2006

"go sit in the hall"

It was reported on the news tonight that a 4th grader in Roswell, New Mexico was punished for refusing to say the Pledge of Allegiance in Spanish. The teacher made the student sit in the hall. Apparently the Roswell school district has been teaching the Pledge of Allegiance in English and Spanish for many years. The mother of the child wasn't upset because they taught the Pledge in spanish but because she feels her sons constitutional right was violated. The school was asked if the teacher would receive any punishment for her actions. The principal refused to comment.


Just thought I'd pass this along. I think it stirs the same emotion in me as when I heard that the National Anthem had been rewritten in spanish, including changing some of the lines.

I don't want to go on a rant, but I just feel that this is the United States, the national language is english. Why then is there so much being changed to spanish to accomodate those from other countries?
Posted by ABQ Mom :: 5/04/2006 04:53:00 PM :: 17 Comments:

Post a Comment

---------------------------------------